Thursday, August 11, 2016

Why Do I Share Scripture?

A CLOSE FRIEND TELLS ME ON FACEBOOK:  "Bill, .   .  . everything you say has a bible verse related to it somehow.  .   .  I'm not opposed to the Bible, but I don't feel every time I say something I (should) get a mini sermon."
 
And, I agree with her.  However, when I feel that the point, or rebuttal, I am sharing is best explained using God's Word - why use something less?  That would be like going into a five-star restaurant which specializes in steaks - and ordering ground beef instead of filet mignon.  Why would you?

 

Let's say a Friend is going to travel from East Lyme, Connecticut, to Hartford, Connecticut.  Should I just tell that Friend, "Just get in your car and see where it takes you" - OR - should I tell that Friend, "Get on I-95 north to CT-85 north, follow CT-85 north to CT-82 west, from CT-82 take CT-11/CT-2 north to Hartford."
 
I am sure my Friend will find the trip more enjoyable knowing where she is going and exactly how to get there.

 

The same is true in our lives.  When I see a Friend just going along, following Secular Society's map of Relativism, which most often leads to a path of confusion - instead of following the known and proven path of Truth which leads to an eternity of joy and happiness ~ I would be remiss to not share the True Path, the Bible, with her.
 
I am reminded of a story I read in "Our Daily Bread," Fall 1991 issue.  It was written by Henry Bosch and tells of a missionary to the Kiowa Indians:

The first missionary to the Kiowa Indians was a woman named Miss Reside.  After living with the Indians long enough for them to know what it meant to be a Christian, they began calling her "Aim Day Co."

Explaining the significance of this name, Chief Bigtree said, "When we Kiowas see anyone on the wrong trail, we call out, 'Aim day co,' which means 'Turn this way.'  Our sister came to us from a far land and found us on the wrong path and in great danger.  She stood and called to us and said, 'Turn this way.'  Then she showed us the Jesus road.  God bless Miss Aim Day Co."

The Lord Jesus declared that there are only two paths to take in life.  One is the narrow way that ascends to life eternal; the other is the broad way that descends to the pit of destruction (Matthew 7:13,14).  And He said that He is "the Way."

While I agree with my Friend that we Christian believers should not beat folks over the head with Scripture.  But, when that is the best way to explain or resolve a situation - why would we not choose to share the Bible?
 

There may be times when we cannot share the Bible with folks.  I am reminded of a Friend, who with his wife, had been missionaries in the Philippines for many years.  They accepted a new assignment to be missionaries to a new group of people who are very strict Muslims.  In that environment, they could not openly share the Bible or the leaders would totally shun them and that would be the end of their witness.  

So, how did they share Jesus with this group?  They did it by showing the love of Jesus in their daily lives among this group.   If there were tasks, paperwork, transportation, etc., which the group needed help to accomplish, this couple willingly offered help. 
 

But, that is an unusual situation.  In most cases, we can share Jesus Christ, the Bible, with others without causing them to go ballistic.  However, there will be cases where the person will become belligerent, not wanting to hear God's Word - for that could make them question their own lifestyle.  My Friend has not done that, but for some reason sharing Scripture makes her feel uncomfortable.  

Is that a sign that I should stop sharing Scripture - OR - that I should continue to share with her, hoping that some small "seed" will hit pay dirt? 

To be honest, before I was a Christian believer - I felt the same way, "Don't keep telling me about your Bible!"  And, "I don't need to go to church to be a Christian!"

When my wife and I were first married, I used to wear a brass medallion she gave me.  It was from the Garden Grove Community Church (later the Crystal Cathedral).  I wore it not because it was from that church - but, because my wife gave it to me.

One day, I was making a sales call at Robertshaw Controls in Anaheim, California.  There was only a guard at the reception desk, a young lady also there to make a sales call, and myself in the lobby.  The young lady was a Christian and was joyfully sharing with the guard.  When she saw my medallion, she excitedly said to me, "Oh, you are a born-again Christian!"   To which I tartly responded, "No, I am a Christian!"

Actually, she and I were both wrong.  At that time, I most certainly was not a Christian believer, born-again or otherwise - even though I was wearing a church related medallion.   


And, when I said, "No, I am a Christian!" - that was not true either.   Yes, I thought I was a Christian - because I was born and grew up in Alabama, the heart of the Bible Belt - and because when I was a teenager I often attended the local Baptist and Methodist churches, depending upon which cute girl I wanted to see.   But, I was no more a Christian by being from Alabama - than I was a sack of potatoes because I worked in the local grocery market.

But, this young lady saying,
"Oh, you are a born-again Christian!"  offended me - mainly because I had not idea what being a born-again Christian really meant.  And, many or our secular friends may be offended by the Bible - because they do not know what it teaches.  Many would view the Bible as an attempt to take control of their lives - and, if non-believers are adamant about one thing - it is being in control of their own lives.

So, to my Facebook Friend, "Thank you for noticing that I like to share the Bible, God's Word, in my writings.  I pray this will not continue to bother you and that it will not hurt our decades long Friendship.  I treasure your friendship.  Yet, it is just my nature to relate issues and situations to God's Word - for that is the Users' Manual for my life.  To ask me to stop sharing His Word would be like asking me to stop breathing."

And, for all my other Friends, I pray that you might find at least one "golden nugget" you may want to use the next time God gives you an opportunity to share with others in your circle of influence.

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill 



No comments:

Post a Comment