Saturday, June 29, 2019

Are You Looking For Love In All The Wrong Places?

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR LOVE IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES?  ~  Yes, that is the name of a country/western song from1980, but it is also a reason for many marriages going wrong.  My Christian brother and Friend from Northern California, Jerry Eden Oliveros, posted the video below titled "Husband Checks Out Other Girls, Forgets How Beautiful His Wife Is" and it brought a flash-back for me to the early 1960s.

About 1962 I saw Anthony Newley's play "Stop The World, I Want To Get Off" on Broadway.   And I was fortunate enough to see, from a 3rd row orchestra seat, the original when it was a new hit on Broadway.  An experience I will never forget.  Newley's character in this play was initially a young street lad in London, out to woo, win, and seduce all the girls.  He meets a young lady named Evie, the daughter of a leader of industry.  Seeing his golden opportunity, he marries Evie and goes to work for his father-in-law's company.

The play was sort of a comedy; yet it really made you think about life.  It was a comedy, still it gave a better perspective on life than most dramas ever could.  Newley's character throughout the play was dressed in a clown mime costume; but this did not detract from the message.  Periodically, as life's pressures would build too high, Newley would walk to the edge of the stage, look at the audience, and announce in a high pitched voice, "Stop the world.  I want to get off!"  Haven't we all felt that way many times?

Then it was time for Dad to retire and Son-in-Law to take over the family business.  Newley's character was exceedingly successful in growing the company into an international giant.  In the meantime, Evie kept having babies - until at one time, he tells her, "If only all of our plants were as productive as you!"

Newley's character becomes an international leader in industry - rubbing shoulders with world leaders, presidents, prime ministers, the top of the world.  And as he traveled around the world, he continued to meet and woo women in every country.  In the play each of his female conquests in the various countries was always played by the same girl who played his wife, Evie - which lent an ironic twist to his affairs.  He was looking all over the world for love - yet each time he found it, it looked just like Evie.   Life is often that way.

Then, came the Autumn of their lives.  He and Evie retire to a rich resort island, lived the life of luxury.  Then Evie dies.  That is when he walked out to center stage with a pathetic, defeated look.  In spite of the vast material wealth he had gained, you knew his life was empty.  That is when he sang the beautiful song "What Kind Of Fool Am I?"


WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I?
Words & Music by Leslie Bricusse & Anthony Newly


What kind of fool am I, who never fell in love?
It seems that I'm the only one that I have been thinking of.
What kind of man is this? An empty shell,
A lonely cell in which an empty heart must dwell.

What kind of lips are these, that lied with ev'ry kiss,
That whispered empty words of love, and left me alone like this?
Why can't I fall in love, like any other man,
And maybe then I'll know what kind of fool I am.

What kind of clown am I? What do I know of life?
Why can't I cast away this mask of play and live my life?
Why can't I fall in love, like any other man,
And maybe then I'll know what kind of fool I am.

Although it was in the 1960s when I saw this play during its Broadway debut, and later I saw it in Hollywood with Joel Grey playing the lead - I have never forgotten the impact that this play, and especially this song, had on me.

I knew that the good life I was living in California and in my travels - the exciting career, the night life, and the parties - were just like Newley's character in "Stop The World."  Like Newley's character, I was playing the clown and never finding true value in life.

However, in 1987 God stepped in.  Actually He had my beautiful Filipina wife, Dory, step in under His guidance.  And my life has never been the same since.  Praise the Lord!

I thank my Christian brother,
Jerry Eden Oliveros, for sharing this video on the "Pastors, Ministry Leaders & Church Planters Fellowship of the East Bay" Facebook group page today.  And I pray that you will share this post.  For we never know when a FRAN (Friend, Relative, Associate, Neighbor) might need to see it. 

Husband Checks Out Other Girls, Forgets How Beautiful His Wife Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8AvWsJ2qPw


God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill 

Click on the image to enlarge:

No comments:

Post a Comment