Friday, February 8, 2019

Keep It Bite-Size ~ Or KISS (Keep It Simple, Sam!)

Let me share this with all my Friends Ministry eNewsletter Friends - for I know that not all of you are on Facebook.  I posted the note below on Facebook a few minutes ago and I believe it can be useful for all my Friends. 

Why do I say that?  If I were quoting President Reagan I would say it this way, "Well, we all write and post articles for one reason - to have folks read our writing.  If we try to shovel it down their throats in truck-load sizes, they will choke.  But, if we give it to them in eatable bite sizes, those who can, will read it."

And that is why I posted this today:

KEEP IT BITE-SIZE!   ~  This morning when I opened Facebook, there was a notice that a Friend had mentioned me in a post.  So to check it out, I clicked on that notice and what I found caused me to walk away from that post.

"What was so horrible that it scared you away, Bill?"  Glad you asked.

It was not so much that I was scared away, as it was that the post was impossible to read.  This Friend had posted a response in a running dialogue and I suppose she got so excited in writing her response - that she forgot that the Enter key allows one to break up page-length rambling paragraphs into bite-size, eatable (or readable) chunks.

We all will agree that the main reason that we write and post on social media, or anywhere, is to have others read our thoughts and, hopefully, act upon them.  They may react positively or negatively - but if they can read our posts and react, we have accomplished our desired purpose in writing.

The following is what I posted in response to my Friend's book-length post which, somewhere down in the middle, I noticed that my name had been highlighted by Facebook. Thank you, Facebook.  For otherwise I would never have found the crime I was guilty of committing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I wrote:

I noticed my name somewhere in that long rambling paragraph, so let me state unequivocally that I fully support building the wall and doing whatever it takes to secure our national borders.

I have posted many times:  PRESIDENT TRUMP, BUILD THAT WALL! - and I will continue posting that until it is accomplished.

That said, while I enjoy reading your responses and posts, I have great difficulty reading a single book-length one paragraph post.  Whenever I see that, I just move on to other posts or topics.  I am not saying that to be nasty nor facetious - just to clarify the issue.

I have a dear home town Friend whose posts I love to read - when they are bite-size.  However, even with him - when his posts get to be book-size in length, I move on without reading.

I learned the lesson of short, to the point, paragraphs from reading newspapers many years ago, and from a pastor Friend who worked as a reporter for a local newspaper - keep it short and simple.

Remember the old acronym KISS (Keep It Simple, Sam)?   Doing that may entail breaking up longer paragraphs into bite-size portions.   Just the way I roll (and read). 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill 

No comments:

Post a Comment