Wednesday, September 19, 2018

AT&T U-Verse "Internet Service" ~ The Ultimate Oxymoron!

GOTTA SAY:  SHAME ON AT&T U-VERSE!   ~  We all have smiled when we hear someone say that "Military Intelligence" is an oxymoron.  Of course we are all joking - but there were times when I was in the Air Force in the late 1950s that you could have convinced me.  But that is an old story.

Let me share a very recent story and I will declare that when AT&T U-Verse tells us they provide "Internet Service" - after yesterday I have to yell really loud:  OXYMORON!  OXYMORON!  OXYMORON!

"Okay, Bill, what has you on this rampage?"  Glad you asked.

Early yesterday I tried to access my e-mails via Thunderbird.  I could not.  It would not accept my password to send or receive e-mails.  After trying to resolve the problem without calling AT&T U-Verse Tech Support (a venture through cyber hell) - finally about noon I gave up and called Tech Support.  I was on the telephone with a gentlemen with an Asian accent (Indian, Pakistani, ?) for about an hour trying to fix my password problem. 

One of the first things he did was to check to see if AT&T U-Verse had me locked out and he determined that was not the case.  After about an hour, he gave us and referred me to the AT&T advanced technician department, Digital Assistance Service.

Great, now I am with the real AT&T Techies.  Surely this man with a lesser accent and with superior technical skills will be able to resolve my problem quickly.  One of the first things this man, Adam (honest, that is what he told me), was to check to see if AT&T U-Verse had me locked out for any reason.  Great, no lock out.

We spent about half an hour on the phone before Mr. High Techie told me, "Well, since you are using Thunderbird e-mail software - you will have to go to them for help.  We don't work on Thunderbird e-mail software."  

Well, wait a minute!  Duh!  Half the world is now using Thunderbird e-mail software - and the AT&T U-Verse Internet Service Provider - does not support it?  Really?  Or was that just Mr. High Techie giving up and throwing up his hands in a desperation effort?

By this time it is getting on toward afternoon and I had to get ready for our Tuesday Night Bible Study - so I also threw up my hands in desperation, gave up on sending or receiving any e-mails - and began to prepare for attending Bible study.

We had a great Bible study at the home of my long time Christian brethren, Jun and Rachel Quintans - great fellowship, solid dialogue study on Psalm 119:9-16, and yes, terrific Filipino food fellowship.  All in all, a great way to spend the evening.

And, about 10:30 PM I am home again - ready to face my E-Mail Dilemma.  By this time I had determined that AT&T U-Verse Tech Support was as helpful as having my thumbs and big toes cut off (old New Testament punishment for enemy kings to make them helpless) - and that somehow I would have to wade through my E-Mail problem alone.

So, encouraged by an evening of good Bible study, good fellowship, and good Pinoy food - I sat at my computer, opened my Thunderbird e-mail - and VOILA! - it was working!

See, I have always told you that going to Bible study did good things for you!

When I downloaded my e-mails, I found one from AT&T U-Verse, sent at 6:55 AM that morning, and titled:  "Your AT&T Access ID Is Temporarily Locked"

Their e-mail read:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hi Valued Customer,

For your security, we've temporarily locked your Access ID.  To unlock it, either reset your password online at att.com or call us at 877.285.0144.

Get more tips on keeping your account and access ID safe. Personal accounts | Business accounts

Thanks for choosing us,

AT&T

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Yes, AT&T sent me that e-mail at 6:55 AM yesterday morning - and then immediately "locked out my e-mail" so that I could not receive the encouraging warning e-mail they had sent to me.  DUH!

And what was even worse - the AT&T Tech Support ~ AND ~ the AT&T Advanced Digital Assistance Service BOTH first checked to see if I was locked out by AT&T - and neither of them found that very important security notice.  DOUBLE DUH!

And, that my Friends, is why I declare that AT&T U-Verse's claim to provide "Internet Service" ~ is absolutely a really big OXYMORON!

Bless their clueless little hearts, Bill 


Click to enlarge graphic:

No comments:

Post a Comment