Friday, October 28, 2016

Don't Miss The "Gems" In Your Life! ~ Revisited

Have you ever looked back on life and wondered, "Why did I not notice that person, that place, that event, that moment in life, which, in hind sight seems to be such a rare gem, to be so special?"   I realize that this question is mostly for those Friends, who, like me, have been around the block a few times in life; who can look back on many years and see things so much more clearly now - now that we are viewing them through older, more mature eyes.  But, not to worry, all my young Friends - you will have your time on this ride also; but, not necessarily now. 

I grew up in a small Southern (Alabama) community.  I say community because where I was born and grew up is now called the Shoals, or Muscle Shoal, area.  When I was a youngster there, it was three small towns which together was called the TriCities:  Sheffield (my home town), Tuscumbia (birthplace), and Florence - and there was an area called Muscle Shoals; but, it was not really a town at that time. 

Back in the 1920s Henry Ford came to Sheffield with plans to build a town called Muscle Shoals because of the Wilson Dam project and its power generation capabilities.  A boom ensued, streets were paved, curbs, sidewalks, street signs, and all the infrastructure one expects to find in a booming town were put in place.  But, plans fell through and work stopped. 

When I was a young boy, I lived for a while in Muscle Shoals.  If one saw such a place today - the first thought would be of a Twilight Zone or Alfred Hitchcock movie.  There was everything in this town - except buildings.  It looked like some great power had come and removed all the buildings -leaving only the street signs, roads, sidewalks, etc.  And, when I left home to join the Air Force in 1955; that is basically the way Muscle Shoals looked. 

Fast forward to the late 1960s.  I was sitting in a doctor's waiting room in Santa Ana, California, and picked up a magazine.  On the cover, in big letters it said, "Aretha In Muscles Shoals" - with a photo of Aretha Franklin.  This got my attention.  What was Aretha Franklin doing in Muscle Shoals?  There was nothing there to draw a major recording star.

To my surprise, I found that my home town community had become a major recording center - where many big stars went to record their music.  Wow!  Since then, I have learned that there was virtually no major recording star who had not recorded music in Muscle Shoals.  You name the star -and he/she had recorded in Muscle Shoals.  Cher even used a photo of herself standing in front of the Muscle Shoals Sound studio in Sheffield as her album cover - and named the album after the address of the studio - 3614 Jackson Highway

In 1970, my step-dad died and I flew home.  On the flight, I sat and chatted with Leland Rogers, the brother and at that time the manager, of Kenny Rogers.  When the Flight Attendant asked if I was getting off in Muscle Shoals or continuing on to Nashville; I told her, "Muscle Shoals." 

Leland Rogers asked, "Are you a musician?"  And, I smiled and told him, "No, believe it or not, that is my home town." 

Then, I asked him, "Why do all the recording stars come to Muscle Shoals to record?" 

He told me, "There are two reasons.  First, they love the sound of the studio musicians.   Second, when they go there to work - there is nothing to do but work." 

The sound he mentioned came to be known as the "Muscle Shoals Sound" - very unique and very special.  And, Muscle Shoals was not a party town like New York, Chicago, Detroit, and Los Angeles.  So the recording stars get their work done, backed by very talented studio musicians, and then go elsewhere to party. 

All this is leading to why I am writing this story.  Several day ago, I was talking with my Friend, Bob Ginger, and he mentioned that one of his favorite Christian songs is "Above All."  I have always liked that song also.  The next day, I read in the my home town newspaper obituary that a high school classmate and friend, Hollis Dixon, had died. 

Hollis and I went to high school together and I also knew his future wife, Raye, who was several years younger that us.   But, I never associated Hollis with music.  My brother, Bob, tells me that when they use to walk home from school together, Hollis was always singing and pretending to play the guitar - what young people today call playing the air guitar.  Back then, it was just called pretending.  Yet, I cannot recall Hollis doing that when he and I were walking.

I graduated high school in 1955 and went right into the Air Force.  After the Air Force, I settled in California - so, I had no idea that Hollis was, at that time, impacting the musical heritage of the Shoals area of Alabama.  In the early 1960s, I recall my brother, Bob, telling me that Hollis had a band and played at clubs and dances around the Shoals.  At the time, I thought this was just another local group with a hobby.  Little did I know the impact Hollis Dixon would have upon the Shoals Musical Heritage; which can also claim W.C. Handy, father of the Blues - and Sam Phillips, who discovered Elvis and so many other recording stars - as home town music icons. 

Last year, when the Alabama Music Hall of Fame was celebrating its anniversary - there was an article in the TimesDaily newspaper about Hollis and his band, the Keynotes.  The article listed many well know musicians and music writers who got their start with Hollis' band, or were encouraged in their musical careers by Hollis.  In that list are a number of award winning (including Grammy) musicians.  I was impressed. 

In that TimesDaily article, Hollis, in his interview, mentioned that he was influenced to start a musical career when he attended Elvis Presley's first one-night concert, which was held in our hometown in the Spring of 1955, at the Sheffield Community Center.  I was at that concert also.  And, another classmate, Carol Cahoon, had her first date with Elvis that evening. 

Now, I will tell you why I have written this story.  My Friend, Bob Ginger, told me that one of his favorite Christian songs is "Above All" - and in Hollis' obituary today, his wife, Raye, tells us that this was also Hollis' favorite song.  And, at the personal request of Hollis' wife, Raye, the artist, Lenny LeBlanc, who wrote this song will sing it at Hollis' funeral service.  Lenny LeBlanc is an artist who credits Hollis Dixon with providing him with work when he arrived in the Shoals. 

“When I moved here in 1973, I was a bass player and wanted to get work in the studios,”LeBlanc said.  “Hollis was the first to hire me.  I'm sure that story has been repeated by every successful singer or musician in the Shoals area.” 

LeBlanc will perform his hit contemporary Christian song “Above All,” at Hollis Dixon's funeral Thursday. 

Shoals Music Pioneer, Hollis Dixon, 75 , Dies:  http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20101027/NEWS/101029822 

So, you can see why, in introducing this story, I asked:  Have you ever looked back on life and wondered, "Why did I not notice that person, that place, that event, that moment in life, which, in hind sight seems to be such a rare gem, to be so special?" 

My home town community, the Shoals area, is one such gem.  To me, it was just home, where all my family and childhood friends live.  Yet, to the music world - it was a shining gem, a special musical diamond.  And, my high school friend, Hollis Dixon, was also one of those unexpected gems - a rare musician and, most importantly, an encourager of others - helping them succeed.  That is a special gift; a true gem. 

But, even more important to me was that, in reading his obituary, I learned that Hollis is a Christian believer and was a member of the Parkview Baptist Church in Tuscumbia.  This truly makes me happy; for, we know that he has been promoted to heaven.  So, while his family and his many friends will miss Hollis and will mourn their loss of his presence in their lives; they can also celebrate his Home Going to be with our Lord. 

And, at the funeral service this week, because Hollis is a believer, all his family and friends who also believe will not say "Goodbye" - but, instead, will say, "Good night, Hollis, we will see you on that glorious resurrection morning."   One day, there will be a great Reunion of his family and friends in Glory with Hollis - and Jesus Christ will be the Host. 

Yes, my classmate and friend, Hollis Dixon, was a gem.  But, more important, he was a Christian believer and is, right now, enjoying fellowship with his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.   Praise the Lord! 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,  

Bill




No comments:

Post a Comment