Friday, September 16, 2022

Did I Meet An Angel?

A Oneness Pentecostal Friend Posted On Facebook: "My opinion is based on observation.  I know what the Bible says. I know what the Baptist angle is.  In my opinion it is incorrect."

And I responded, "Then why is your theology so far off-track - on so many doctrines?"  And then asked him, "I am curious.  What is the 'Baptist Angle?'  I know a few Baptists who may have seen angels - but none with an angle!"

As a matter of fact, there is a possibility that I met an angel about 15 years ago, as I was out for a walk late one evening.

In 2006, about 11:00 pm I went for a walk.  And walking along Magnolia Avenue, a busy boulevard in Riverside, California - suddenly a man who appeared to be homeless and about forty years old, jumped from behind a sign and started screaming and cursing me.

I backed away from him into and across the busy street.  He followed me, screaming and cursing.  At one time, he said, "Damn it, give me ten dollars."  I told him, "I don't have any money on me" - which was true, for I never carry a wallet or any valuables when I walk.

Soon I was on the island between east-bound and west-bound Magnolia, a wide landscaped area.  The moment I stepped on the island, I felt a sudden peace come over me.   For a moment I just stood there.

Then I approached the man and told him, "I don't have any money.  But I want to be your friend."  I could see his face change slightly, I could see just a bit of the anger leave.  I walked up to him, put my right hand on his left shoulder, and told him, "I want to be your friend. I love you, God loves you. Can I pray for you?"  And he said, "Yes."

I held his shoulder and prayed that God would touch this man and provide for his needs.  I prayed for God to show His love to this man.  Then I hugged him.  He hugged me back, so tightly, and said in a small, soft voice, "This is what I really want."  Then he walked calmly away.

Was God giving me a message?  I don't know for sure, but I do know that God was on that highway island with me as I prayed for that homeless man.

Later as I was sharing this with my wife, Dory, I recalled that I had forgotten one very key observation.  I never really thought about it as I was talking and praying with this man.  I never really thought about it afterwards - until I was walking home and thinking about what God had done with me, and through me, that evening.

One of the first things most people, including myself, would think of when considering hugging a homeless person is - he will have an odor.

As I thought about it later, I realized that this man had no odor whatsoever.  He was as fresh as a baby coming out of a bath.  He had no odor, his clothing had no odor - yet he was obviously homeless and living on the streets.  How was this possible?


Matthew 19:26 (nasb), "And looking at them Jesus said to them, 'With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.' ”


Was this man a Messenger from God?  Was God telling me, as He did Peter in Acts 10:15, "What God has cleansed, . . ."


You can see why I felt somewhat shaken after this was over - so I decided to just go back home instead of finishing my walk.  Yet I also felt exhilarated because I know that God had touched that man through me.

Hebrews 13:2 (nasb) tells us, "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."


Was this my angel?   Many will laugh and say that I need a psychiatrist - but believers will say, "Amen!"


God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill 

Click on the image to enlarge: 



No comments:

Post a Comment