Sunday, September 20, 2020

A Man Named Sam ~ Pastor Sam Lacanienta

"Come and listen to my story about a man named Sam.  .  .  .  The kinfolk said 'Sam, move away from there.  Californy is the place you ought to be'"  

Okay, so I borrowed that from the Beverly Hillbillies theme song, but I do want to tell you the true story of a man named Sam - Pastor Sam Lacanienta - a man who made an eternal difference in my life. 

Pastor Sam was raised in a Christian family and became a pastor in the Philippines as a young man.  He attended the Far Eastern Bible Institute and Seminary (FEBIAS), founded in 1948 as an interdenominational Bible school and later changed to FEBIAS College of Bible.  He was ordained and pastored a church in the Philippines

During that time he met and fell in love with a young lady named Ida.   Since it was a unilateral love, he had to chase Ida for seven years before she caught him.  They migrated to America where Sam became an associate pastor at a small Southern Baptist church in Santa Ana, California.

Eventually Pastor Sam moved, becoming an associate pastor at Woodbridge Community Church in Irvine, California, which is affiliated with the Baptist General Conference (home organization behind Bethel University, a Baptist seminary founded in 1871).  After he met and started a Fil-Am Bible study in the home of Fred & Nattie Almeda, more Filipinos began attending Woodbridge leading Pastor Sam and Fred Almeda to form the new Fil-Am Church of Irvine (FACI) as a daughter church under Woodbridge.

In 1987 I met Pastor Sam Lacanienta at a Saturday evening social at the home of Lolita Mueller.  That evening when I met Pastor Sam & Ida Lacanienta at the Mueller home changed my life forever.  I was not a believer then - but I could see and feel the love of God in this pastoral couple.  The next day my wife, Dory, and I attended the Fil-Am Church of Irvine (CA) worship service - and I could feel the love of God flowing through Pastor Sam, permeating the whole congregation, and I was caught up in it. 

The next Friday we attended their Family Bible Study at the home of Ed & Ligaya Nibut - and found the same Godly love there.  Because of the love we experienced, we continued to attend their worship services and their Friday Evening Family Bible Studies.  And after about six months, I gave my life to the Lord.  I cannot give you a definite day and hour when I believed, for my salvation was a six month process. 

The more I learned about Jesus Christ - the more I knew that I needed Him.  Most of that was learned in our Bible studies - even though Pastor Sam's sermons and Sunday School classes were also a big part of my maturing process.  So you can see why I place such importance on interactive, dialogue style Family Bible Studies - I saw their effectiveness in the process of bringing me to the Lord.

In the early 1990s, a young man from the Philippines, Leto Carag, was attending our FACI services while preparing to attend Westminster Theological Seminary in Escondido, California.  Through Pastor Sam, our church arranged to give a used car to Leto so that he would have transportation while attending Westminster Seminary.  Today that young man is Dr. Anacleto S. Carag,  M.Div and D. Min., president/director of FEBIAS College of Bible, Pastor Sam's alma mater.

Pastor Sam Lacanienta became Director of Church Planting for Filipino churches for the Southwest District of the Baptist General Conference.  In that role, he began working to plant new Filipino-American churches in California and other western states.  

One of the first he planted was the Fil-Am Church of Long Beach.  One of the young couples in our College/Professional Group at FACI was Charles Patam and May Egenias who would soon marry while Charles was attending Talbot Seminary at Biola University.  Pastor Sam commissioned (a pastor cannot be ordained until graduation from seminary) Charles as the pastor of the Fil-Am Church of Long Beach.

In 1988-89 I was working for computer company in Irvine and on a sunny day I decided to walk to a Food Court a few blocks away for lunch.  Walking back to work I had an encounter with an earth worm.  As I said, it was a sunny day and walking along I saw an earth worm crawling across the hot sidewalk. I could see many other worms who had taken that perilous journey - only to be cooked on the hot sidewalk or squashed by cars on the street.

I decided to save my little earth worm and put him back into the lush green grass.  But when I tried to pick it up, the worm began to wiggle and fight against me.  Eventually I did accomplish my task of saving that one earth worm - and went back to work. 

At work I began to think about that worm and how he was much like we humans.  We are headed on a perilous journey to an eternity we will regret.  But God sent His Son to pick us up and put us back into His lush garden, His Christian church fellowship.  But most of us fight against all His efforts - just as that worm fought against me.  However, if we will only listen to Him, He will save us - as I saved that worm.

That evening at Bible study when I shared my worm story, Pastor Sam suggested, "Bill, you should write it to share with others."  And, that, my Friends, is how Bill Gray began a Christian writing ministry.   So, if you don't like my writings, blame Pastor Sam, for he got me started.  And I thank God often for his continued encouragement.

About 2005, Pastor Sam and Ida decided to return to the Philippines to do ministry in their homeland.  I remember Ida telling us that when they told their family, their young granddaughter, Bethany, asked her, "Will you still be my Lola?"  In a way I could have asked a similar question, for this Godly couple was my spiritual parents.

In the Philippines, they began to operate the Word of Life Seaside Bible Camp for young people, accept speaking invitations, lead home Bible studies, counsel and disciple, and pastor a new church, the Talakag Church on the Solid Rock - a sister church of Church on the Solid Rock in Lake Forest, California, where Pastor Sam was pastor before making the decision to return home to the Philippines.  Also, because of Ida's teaching credentials, they were working on accreditation with the Philippine Department of Education for a pre-school they currently were operating for the young children in their area.

Each year, they returned to Southern California to spend the holidays with their family.  The day after Thanksgiving 2012, during their visit to Southern California, Ida became ill and went into the hospital.  At about 1:00 AM on the morning of December 10th, she went home to be with her precious Lord.  Pastor Sam returned to the Philippines to continue pastoring the church which Ida and her friends were instrumental in founding, the Talakag Church on the Solid Rock.  And today, in his mid-80s, Pastor Sam Lacanienta is still serving the Lord in these activities he and Ida established.

I am just one of many whom this Godly man, in his quiet, sincere way - has led to saving faith in Jesus Christ.  I pray that this ongoing story of "A Man Named Sam" has been edifying and encouraging to you - and that it will make you want to mine the Biblical knowledge found in Pastor Sam's Playlist of short videos.  They may be short in length, 15 to 20 minutes - but they full of the solid food, meat, of Scriptural knowledge (1 Corinthians 3:1-3).

During the current worldwide Covid-19 Shutdown, Pastor Sam began posting short teaching videos about the person and names of God, and sharing the Gospel of Salvation to reach those who have not yet made that eternal decision to follow Christ.  I have compiled his 15 t0 20 minute teaching videos into a YouTube playlist and each week I will add the latest to the top of the list.  I know that his messages are still helping me continue to grow in my knowledge of God's Word, the meaning of Sanctification, as I eagerly await each new video.

So, whether you are a new Christian, a mature Christian, or a person who feels called to know more about our Lord and Savior and feel that you want to become a believer yourself - you will find solid spiritual meat in Pastor Sam Lacanienta's videos.  View his videos and share them with your FRANs (Friends, Relatives, Associates, Neighbors) for their edification.


Pastor Sam Lacanienta Gospel Message Playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMVYSeWOEUc&list=PL_YT3RttutrjP4_ws1dHh8bO_CvVYWkPi


God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill

Click on the image to enlarge:



No comments:

Post a Comment