Sunday, July 12, 2020

Was The Original Church Baptist? ~ NO!

WAS THE ORIGINAL CHURCH BAPTIST?  NO!   ~   Yesterday I shared a blog I had written in 2013 titled "What Is The True Church - Believers OR An Organization?"   And a Christian sister responded, "Baptist is the Church / body of Christian Believers from Christ Yeshua's first time on earth."

Over the years I have heard folks claiming that the Baptist church was the one formed on the Day of Pentecost 33 AD.  And we all know that the Roman Catholic Church claims to have begun with the apostle Peter, when in Matthew 16:13-20, especially verse 18, "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." 

From the Commentary/Study Guide for Matthew 16, written by Pastor David Guzik, we read: "On this rock I will build My church: The words 'this rock' have been the source of much controversy.  It is best to see them as referring to either Jesus Himself, or as referring to Peter's confession of who Jesus is."  

Although I was saved in a Baptist church in 1987 and have attended Baptist churches since then - I must remind you that the church which was formed in the Upper Room on the Day of Pentecost 33 AD was NOT Baptist.

On that day 120 disciples were sealed by the Holy Spirit and began to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  The first day over 3000 came to faith in Him and a few days later that number swelled to over 5000 people.  That was the beginning of the church, the body of Christ.   At that time the believers were referred to as the "Way" (
Acts 9:1–2).

Later in Antioch a group of detractors intending to give the believers a derogatory name, called them Christians, implying "Christ followers" or "Little Christs"  (
Acts 11:26).   What the adversaries intended as a derogatory name, Christian, became our Crown of Glory.  And today, all believers in Christ are proud to wear the name Christian.

All other church names, i.e., Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, etc., are ALL man devised names and denominations.  God never intended His Church to become so divided.

This is why when folks ask me what I am, I tell them I am a "Baptist-Flavored Christian Believer."  Why do I define myself that way?   Glad you asked.  Shortly after I became a believer in 1987 I began to form, based upon corporate and personal Bible studies, my own Biblical beliefs.  Later a young pastor friend made a suggestion which has become a strong part of the way I do ministry.  He suggested that any time I encounter a new Christian ministry, church, group, or web site - the first thing I should look for is their Statement of Faith, the Biblical doctrines they believe and teach.  Shortly after that I put my own Statement of Faith in writing, supported by Scripture references. 

In 2009 when I first started the Bill & Dory Gray Christian Ministries blog site, the first thing I posted was our Statement of Faith, which you can read in the right panel of the blog site:   http://billdory-christian-ministries.blogspot.com/

Today when I encounter a new ministry site, the first thing I look for is their Statement of Faith - then I will read other writings on their web site.

About 15 years ago, I was referred to the web site of a church in the Midwest.  I could not find their Statement of Faith - so I sent an e-mail asking why.  Shortly I received an e-mail from someone at that church telling me, "We do not post our Statement of Faith - because we do not want to offend anyone."

Wow!  Can you believe that?  I responded, "Well, you most certainly have offended me.  And I have little doubt that you have also offended God."

But why the "Baptist-Flavored Christian" name?  Because my personal Statement of Faith aligns very well with the SOF of the Baptist church - so since we believe and share the same doctrinal message, I proudly carry the flavor of being a Baptist.  But always a Christian first. 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill 

Click on the image to enlarge:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment