Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Ford Family Celebration Of Life

ALL BELIEVERS ARE THE FAMILY OF GOD.  Yet many times God brings us together within a smaller, more intimate Christian family.  We have our immediate family of loved ones and we have our extended local church fellowship family.  Then, in His own time, God often places us in a special and very intimate family situation which we never expected.  That happened to me and it began all the way back in April 1956, long before I was a Christian believer, and half a century before God would reveal His purpose.

In April 1956 I was assigned in the Air Force to serve at Osan Air Base in Korea.  There I came to respect and admire a very special person, 1/Lt. Robert Ford, a pilot in the 311th Fighter-Bomber Squadron where I was assigned.  In March 1957 1/Lt. Robert Ford was killed in the crash of an F-86 aircraft - and although it did have a strong effect upon me then, I had no idea what an impact it would have in my life half a century later. 

Below is a prayer request for the Ford Family which I posted one year ago at the early passing of Bob Ford's son, Chip.  I want to share it again as a celebration of the lives of 1/Lt. Bob Ford, his wife, Libby, and their son, Chip.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Mary Ford wrote:  Tue, May 8, 2018 - Bobby's Son

Dear Bill,  I wasn’t sure if Margaret told you, but Chip Ford, Bobby’s son, passed away this weekend.  He has had some health issues for awhile and we are very sad over losing him at such an early age!  I just keep picturing Bobby and Libby welcoming Chip into Heaven - as they all walk with our precious Lord together!  I just wanted you to know since you have been so wonderful to the Ford family!  In Christ, Mel Ford

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Life, especially our Christian life, takes us down many paths and highways over the years.  This walk down Memory Lane began in April 1956 when I was assigned to the 311th Fighter-Bomber Squadron at Osan Air Base, Korea.  I was a Radar/Airborne Gunsight Control Technician on the F-86 aircraft and 1/Lt Robert "Bob" Ford was a U.S. Naval Academy graduate who had transferred to the Air Force as a fighter pilot and was assigned to our 311th FBS.

Bob Ford was highly respected and admired by we enlisted men for the way he treated us as equals - while we were doing our assigned tasks of keeping our pilots and their planes flying safely as they went into harm's way each day.  1/Lt Bob Ford was killed on March 11, 1957, when his F-86 aircraft crashed.  That day was my mom's 40th birthday.

On September 11, 2003, God brought me into contact with Bob Ford's widow, Libby.   On September 11, 1999, she had posted a brief message on the Korean War Project web site.  She posted it in the 311th FBS chat room, because she was upset that Lt. Bob Ford, buried at Arlington National Cemetery, would not have his name on the Korean War Memorial. 

A friend introduced me to that web site late one evening via e-mail, and that evening, at 3:00 AM, September 11, 2003 - four years to the day later, I found Libby Ford's post.  September 11th holds a special meaning for all Americans - but now that date had a new and very powerful meaning for me.  This is part of Libby Ford's post on the Korean War Project web site which got my attention:

HEADER:   1 /Lt. Robert A. Ford, Jr KIA  -  NAME: Elizabeth (Libby) Ford COMMENTS:  1/Lt. Robert A. Ford, Jr. was killed in Korea on March 11, 1957 after being extended over in Korea.  .  .  .
In 1956-57, when Lt. Bob Ford and I were in Korea, there was a definite probability of the war flaring up again. Because of this, everyone in Korea at that time was in a potential war situation.  So, we, and especially our pilots, took to heart the responsibility of being prepared and ready.  When our pilots went up in a simulated bombing or dogfight exercise; they knew that the next exercise might be for real.  This was the situation we lived under at that time.

Viewing the Korean War Project web site that evening, the name, 1 /Lt. Robert A. Ford, Jr, immediately caught my attention as I was scanning the posts.  The next morning I called Libby Ford at her home in Virginia.  That began a close friendship which lasted until Christmas day, 2009, when she was promoted to heaven to join her beloved Bob in the presence of our Lord.

During our initial phone conversation in 2003, she asked if I would write my memoirs of that year in Korea, so that she, their children, grandchildren, and other family members would have those memories to treasure.  What began as my memoirs of that year - God turned into a one year effort as Libby Ford and I gathered memorabilia, photos, and other pieces to enable me to build a memorial web site for 1/Lt Robert "Bob" Ford.

Let me digress a wee bit. Because I had such admiration for Lt. Bob Ford - the moment I heard of his death that day in 1957 is permanently engraved in my mind, heart, and memory.  I can vividly see that moment, where I was, and what I was doing when I heard the bad news.  After work on March 11, 1957, a friend and I had left our work area near the flight-line at Osan Air Base.

We were walking across a taxi strip toward our living quarters when one of the crew chiefs ran up and told us, "Lt. Ford has been killed.  His plane crashed at K8."  K8 was Kunsan Air Base.  As Bob Ford was flying back from the Mitsubishi plant at Nagoya, Japan, to Osan - he crashed at the Kunsan Air Base.

That day stays in my mind as vividly as the day that President Kennedy was killed.


Over the years since becoming friends with Libby Ford, I have been able to build and maintain our memorial web site for Bob Ford - and just as important, I have become friends with all of Bob's family.  It is by the gracious, Christian generosity of Bob's brother, Tom, that I can post this prayer request today.  Two years ago, my computer died and I was using a 12 year old clunker.  Tom sent me the HP computer that I am using today.

Tom's wife, Mel, thoughtfully made sure I knew about the passing of Bob's son, Chip.  Libby's sister, Margaret, who lives further north in California has been a long time friend and Christian sister.

On Christmas day, 2009, we had to say "Good night" to Margaret's sister, Libby.  And today we have to say "Good night" to Robert A. “Chip” Ford, III - far too soon.

You may wonder why I suggest we say "Good night" and not "Goodbye" to Chip Ford.

When we lose a member of a Christian family such as the Fords, I am reminded of what my Christian mentor, Pastor Sam Lacanienta, always tells us at memorial services.   This is what he would say if he were speaking at Chip's Celebration of Life service, "Chip is a Christian believer and has gone home to be with his Lord.  If you are also a believer, you will not say, 'Goodbye' to Chip.  Instead you will say, 'Goodnight, I will see you on that glorious resurrection morn.'   However, if you are not a believer, you must say, 'Goodbye' to Chip today." 

You may also wonder why Pastor Sam would say, "Chip is a Christian believer" when he is now dead.  Chip's mortal body has died - but Chip lives eternally - and on the Glorious Resurrection Day, Chip will have his immortal body.  Chip is very much alive today.

All Christian believers, upon death, at the next moment are alive in the presence of Jesus Christ.  A few years ago, Anita, the wife of a Friend, Pastor Yeo, became ill and died suddenly.  After her Memorial Service, we all went to a restaurant for fellowship and to remember Anita.  As we were taking turns sharing our thoughts, one lady said, ".  .  .  when Anita was alive."   And, I added, "Anita is more alive today than ever.  Before she was alive in this fallen mortal world.  But now she is alive in the presence of Jesus Christ."   And, Pastor Yeo agreed with me.

That is why we will say that Robert A. "Chip" Ford, III, is very much alive today - in the presence of his Lord.  And he is in precious and loving fellowship with his dad and mom, Bob and Libby Ford.

Yet, while we know that Chip is with his mom and dad, that he is with our Lord Jesus Christ, eternally happy - Chip's family and friends will miss having him in their daily lives.  We will have a short time of mourning - as we all celebrate Chip's life.

And that is why I ask you to pray for the Ford family - that they will all know His peace, comfort, and blessed assurance.

This is the Bob Ford Memorial web site:  

http://www.bob-ford-memorial.com/

Thank you for your prayers and God bless,

Bill 
Click on the image to enlarge:

No comments:

Post a Comment