Friday, April 28, 2017

Why I Write ~ OR ~ Comparing Evangelism To Farming!

Not sure if you are familiar with the Christian Evangelical organization named Jews For Jesus.  This is from their Statement of Faith:

We believe that Israel exists as a covenant people through whom God continues to accomplish His purposes - and that the Church is an elect people in accordance with the New Covenant, comprising both Jews and Gentiles who acknowledge Jesus as Messiah and Redeemer.  We believe that Jesus the Messiah will return personally in order to consummate the prophesied purposes concerning His kingdom.  (https://jewsforjesus.org/about/statement-of-faith/)

And, this will tell you more about them:

The plaque at Jews For Jesus Headquarters in San Francisco reads, "Jews For Jesus: EST. 32 A.D. Give or Take a Year."

Our name tells who we are, who we stand for, and what we do.  Everything is right up front!  While we might have chosen a less controversial name, Jews For Jesus is the one that most quickly, easily, and accurately lets people know who we are and what we are about.


Sometimes people ask us, "How long has 'Jews For Jesus' been around?"  We love that question because it gives us the chance to grin and say: "Since 32 A.D., give or take a year."  The joke reminds people that a minority of Jewish people have always believed and proclaimed the Gospel, and that we follow in that same tradition.


Actually, "Jews For Jesus" began as a slogan.  In the late 1960s a moving of the Holy Spirit brought thousands of cause-oriented young people to faith in Jesus, many of whom were Jewish.  As for our organization, Moishe Rosen officially founded Jews For Jesus in September of 1973. 


Rosen, a veteran missionary to the Jewish people, was the executive director of the mission for 23 years.  He revolutionized evangelistic methods and materials with his creative approach. (http://jewsforjesus.ca/history/)

On April 28, 2013 I wrote and posted:  Earlier this week, I received my Jews For Jesus newsletter in the mail.  In this issue, I read the article below, which is my reason for writing this post.  The article "Comparing Evangelism to Farming" speaks of sowing Gospel Seeds - and it tugged at my heart.   For almost 30 years I have been doing Christian writing; for the last twenty or so years, mostly apologetic endeavors.

From Christian Friends I have often heard, "Why do you continue to write on public venues when you get so many insults and rocks thrown at you?  Why bother?"  

And, from non-believing Friends I frequently read, "See, we told you that you are doing more harm to your so-called Christian faith, than good!  Can't you see how many people get mad at you - and how many you drive away from God?" 

My response to my Christian Friends is, "I continue because this is the ministry given to me by God.  He never told me it would be easy, nor did He ever promise it would it make me materially wealthy.  He gave me the gift of writing - and if I do not use this talent He has given me, if I hide it under a rock; when the Master returns He will not be happy with me." 

And, to my non-believing Friends, I say:

"Yes, I realize that I do excite the anger of those who do not believe in God, and even in those who believe He exists, but still choose to follow the world instead of Him.  Could this be because, within each of them, there is a seed of conviction hidden down deep, which is possibly beginning to awaken?  Do my writings stir those feelings, long buried?  Only time will tell.

However, as much as I would love to see every one of my non-believing Friends become Christian believers - I do not write for you.  I write for those who come to the forums and other venues to read, but, seldom, if ever, post a response or writing.  I write for those silent readers we may never know; but, God knows them." 
In other words, while I would love to see the non-believers come to faith in Christ; they are not my primary target audience.  I write for the new believers, that I might help them grow in their knowledge of God's Word.  I write for the seekers, that I might point them in the right direction toward eternal life in Christ.

I write for the more mature believer who wants to grow more mature in his/her knowledge of God's Word through interactive dialogues, or just reading.  And, I write so that I might learn more and grow more mature in my knowledge of God's Word through dialogues with other believers. 

I write for that person who may have a question about the Christian faith, about God, Jesus Christ, and how he/she may have salvation - but, does not know who to ask.  I write for that person who may have heard, read, or been taught a false or erroneous teaching - and needs to know what the Bible, God's Written Word, has to say about that issue. 

I write for those persons who will take my writing and, at that time, or maybe later - ponder what is written.  I pray they will then will do as the apostle Paul teaches in Acts 17:11; take that writing and stand it beside Scripture to test if it, and the person offering it, is true to Scripture.

Our measuring bar, our criteria, has to always be Scripture, and only Scripture.  We can look at what men have written, myself included; we can look at commentaries and great tomes of Biblical knowledge for suggestions.  But, the true answers must always come only from the Bible.

Comparing Evangelism to Farming
By: David Brickner, Executive Director

Tuesday, April 30, 2013, May 2013 Issue,
Jews For Jesus Newsletter (5773:9)

https://www.jewsforjesus.org/publications/newsletter/may-2013/comparing-evangelism-to-farming

Jerry was a successful businessman whose wealth had afforded him a comfortable life in the northern suburbs of Chicago.  He was also a prominent member of the Jewish community.  When he was in his 70s, Jerry retired and handed over his company to his son.


That's when we met and began getting together weekly to study the Bible.  Within a few months, I had the privilege of praying with Jerry to receive the Lord.  It turns out Jerry had actually believed that Jesus was our Messiah for most of his life - yet it took all those decades to receive Him as Savior.  How was this possible?


When Jerry was a child, his parents were unable to send him to the Jewish sleep away summer camp.  They instead allowed him to attend the Vacation Bible School at a nearby Lutheran church.  During that VBS, Jerry memorized John 3:16 - and he never forgot that Bible verse.  Throughout his life he believed the Scripture verse was true, but he hid that thought away and never acted on it.  Years later, that seed finally bore fruit and Jerry became a follower of Christ.


This true story illustrates an important principle of witnessing
: never underestimate the effectiveness of sowing a Gospel seed - no matter how long it may take to produce fruit!  The Bible uses farming or gardening metaphors over and over to illustrate how the Gospel does its work.  We may not see with our physical eyes what is happening below the surface, but with eyes of faith we can be encouraged to continue sowing and watering - and leave the rest to God.  If you want to be encouraged, view your efforts to fulfill the Great Commission through this lens.


A farmer's labor may be evidenced by the harvest, but much skill and hard work is invested in all that leads up to it.  God entrusts the sowing and watering to us, but bringing the seed to fruition is always His part (1 Corinthians 3:7).  Can we practice the patience and diligence of a farmer and anticipate what God will do, no matter how long it takes?  That is not easy in our results-oriented, instant gratification-demanding culture.


Our Jews for Jesus founder Moishe Rosen put it this way: “A spiritual harvest of souls for God’s Kingdom requires the same painstaking care a farmer gives his field if it is to yield a harvest.  Yet many church and para-church programs fail, because in seeking a spiritual harvest they do not take into account the developmental nature of the gospel seed.  You cannot harvest what you have not sown.”


Bill Gray Note: To read the rest of this article, click on this URL link:   https://jewsforjesus.org/publications/newsletter/newsletter-may-2013/comparing-evangelism-to-farming/  


You may also want to visit:  https://www.jewsforjesus.org to learn more about Jews For Jesus.

In the mid-1990s, I worked for a computer company in Southern California which did systems integration.  One Friday afternoon, I received a phone call from a customer in Houston who was having problems with the system we sold to his company.  Since it was about 4:00 PM, I told him that I could help for about an hour, but then I have to leave to attend Bible study. 

He was excited, asking if I was also a Christian believer.  I told him about a Christian newsletter I wrote, publish, and mailed once a month, The Good News.  He asked to be put on my mail list.  Two weeks later, I mailed the newsletters. 

Several weeks later, he and I were talking again and he told me, "Bill, I received your Christian newsletter - and it came just in time." 

Because others were in my office, I could not ask him to explain.  And, the next week, because business was slow, I was laid off and never had a chance to talk with him again.  So, to this day I have no idea what problem he had - nor what was written in my newsletter which met that need, or answered that question for him. 

But, that is okay, for God knew his need - and I believe God used me to help that man with his need.  Once I had mailed my newsletter, everything else was left in the hands of God.  We only sow the seeds, He does all the healing and harvesting. 

Years ago, I read a true story of a family which had migrated to America from a third-world country, seeking a better life.  Arriving in America, they ended up in a ghetto which was almost as bad as the one they left in their home country.  In despair, the mother laid out her plan to end her pain.  She went to the laundromat to make sure her family had clean clothes.  With that finished she planned to go home and take her own life. 

While washing her clothes, a woman came in, did not say a word, only gave her a Christian tract and walked away.  Out of curiosity, she began to read the tract which told her how much Jesus loves her, that He was willing to die for her, and that He wants her to live eternally with Him.

By the time she finished reading the tract, her spirit was lifted.  She went home and prepared dinner for her family, instead of taking her own life.  That silent lady sowed a seed with her tract.  And, God nurtured that seed and harvested this distressed mother into the family of God. 

How many seeds have you sown today?  One of them just may have saved someone's eternal soul?   Think about that. 

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day, 

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment