Monday, June 27, 2016

Pray, Seek, And You Shall Find - An Answer To Our Prayers?

Last Sunday, my wife, Dory, and I visited a new ( to us) Filipino-American local church fellowship, IBBC-Riverside (International Bible Baptist Church), and were very pleased with the welcome we received there.  When we arrived I had an immediate flashback to 1987 - and the first Sunday we visited the Fil-Am Church of Irvine (CA).  

In 1987, at FACI, we were greeted with such love and warmth - that, even though I was not yet a believer - this made me want to keep returning to that fellowship.  And, six months later, through their weekly home Bible study I became a Christian believer.

That is the same kind of loving welcome we received at IBBC-Riverside last Sunday.  And, we will be returning.

However, having been a Christian believer for 29 years and a Christian writer for most of those years - I have always found it fruitful to first visit the Statement of Faith of any new ministry, fellowship, or organization I encounter.  That due diligence has served me well over the years in my own personal Christian walk - and that is why, when I began our personal Christian blog, the first thing I posted was our personal Statement of Faith, what WE BELIEVE - http://billdory-christian-ministries.blogspot.com/

Some years ago I was referred to the web site of a Christian church fellowship in the Midwest.  As is my practice, I first looked for their Statement of Faith, for that tells me what they believe and what they teach.  For that church, search as I might I could not find their Statement of Faith on their web site.  So, I sent an e-mail asking about it.  Within a half hour I received an e-mail reply telling me, "We do not post our Statement of Faith - for we do not want to offend anyone."

Wow!  My immediate response was a reply e-mail stating, "Well, you have most certainly offended me.  And, I have no doubt that you have also offended God."

Matthew 10:32, "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven."

Luke 12:8, "Also I say to you, whoever confesses Me before men, him the Son of Man also will confess before the angels of God."

Romans 1:16, "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek."

In searching for the IBBC-Riverside web site and/or Facebook page, I was referred to the main IBBC (San Leandro) web site.  I went to their site and found their Statement of Faith page:  http://www.ibbcministries.org/mainchurch/what-we-believe/ - and found that I do agree with them on their doctrinal beliefs.  However, on one of their doctrinal statements, I am not quite sure what they mean:

13. We believe in the doctrine of separation from worldliness and doctrinal error.  Psalm 1; Amos 3:3

My reason for concern is that, over years of apologetic writing, I have encountered people and fellowships which will declare that once we become Christian believers - we are separated from the world and will no longer sin, nor make doctrinal errors.   In my Biblical beliefs, that is stretching Scripture's meaning a wee bit too far.  Can we ever be free of temptations and the resulting sins?  No.

1 John 1:8-10, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us ~ If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness ~ If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us."

Praise God, this tells me that when we become born-again believers - we are "saved sinners!"

So, what are the Scripture passages, Psalm 1 and Amos 3:3, telling us?  Let's Look at those Scripture passages:


Amos 3:3, "Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?"

Psalm 1, "Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.  He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper. 

The ungodly are not so, But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.  Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.  For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the ungodly shall perish."   

I believe I understand what the dear folks at IBBC are saying - but I will appreciate it if someone in that organization will respond to this e-mail and be a bit more specific.  For as you and I both know, two people can quote the same Scripture passage - and come to very different understandings of the meaning.  Some could read that as, "Have no dealings whatsoever with unbelievers" - while I might read it as, "When you walk among the wolves, don't forget to 'have on your Full Armor of God' (Eph 6:10-18)."   

About 18 years ago, waiting in the ER at the Riverside County Regional Medical Center, I encountered a young man who could have been the poster boy for the White Supremacists movement - buzz cut hair, tattoos, muscle shirt, and H A T E tattooed on his four fingers.  Yet, I noticed that he was reading a Bible.  When I had the opportunity, I asked him, "Pardon me, but your hand says HATE, but the book you are reading says LOVE.  What is your story?"

We sat and talked for several hours, exchanging Christian tracts we each had written.  He affirmed that he had been a devout White Supremacist, he and his whole family - living that lifestyle and, as he stated, "Listening to nothing but 'black music'."  By "black music" he explained that he meant Satanic music.

Yet, one day as he was walking in Riverside, California, a Christian believer approached him and began sharing Jesus Christ with him.  That day, on the sidewalk in Riverside - that young man left the White Supremacist life forever behind him and became a born-again Christian believer.

This raises several questions:

1. First, would that have happened if the Christian believer had practiced, "Have no dealings whatsoever with unbelievers" - instead of living the Great Commission, "Go, Make disciples, Baptize them, Teach them.  .  . Be My witnesses in all the world. (Matt 28:19-20, Acts 1:8, Mark 16:15)"?

2.  And, second, would you and I have the Great Commission so firmly embedded in us - that we would openly approach an obvious White Supremacist on the street and tell him/her about Jesus Christ?

I thank my new Friends at IBBC for taking the time to read my concerns.  And, if you have the time, I will really appreciate your answer concerning that one part of your Statement of Faith.

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill 


No comments:

Post a Comment