Saturday, June 19, 2010

Prophecy And The Rest Of The Bible

Earlier, I wrote an article titled "When Is The Bible Literal And When Is it Symbolic?" and posted it on the TimesDaily Religion Forum. As you might expect, I have had a few responses -- from believers and from my atheist Friends. The one below seemed to be a good segue into talking about prophecy.

If you find this useful, please feel free to share it with your Friends, Relatives, Associates, and Neighbors -- all your FRANs. Let's keep sharing His Gospel with the world -- and looking forward to His imminent return.

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill Gray

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Tigrtrek,

You tell us, "Making a determination of what's literal and what's symbolic is part of what is called rightly dividing the word of truth. When the Bible says that Jesus is the stone that the builders rejected it does not literally mean he is a rock. This is easy to pick out, but prophecy, which is largely symbolic, is more open to interpretation.

Many people dedicate their lives to studying prophecy and still don't have all the answers. I prefer to focus on the Gospels, the Epistles and the Old Testament. Whatever the future holds God will work out."


That is a good example of Biblical allegory -- Jesus the Rock. Thank you.

Like you, I enjoy the Gospels, Epistles, and the Old Testament. However, since about 30% of the Bible is prophecy -- how can we not focus on this? True, many people spend their lives studying prophecy -- but, that does not mean that we lay people should not also study it.

Often times, the Holy Spirit will give us a special insight when studying His Word. I remember, about twenty years ago, when I first began to study the End Times prophecies -- I was totally confused about who would be in the Millennial Kingdom and where would Satan, who had been locked in the abyss for one thousand years, raise his large army of non-believers to do battle against Jesus Christ and the holy city, Jerusalem.

One afternoon, as I was driving home from work, I was sitting at a traffic light. My mind was on the traffic light and getting home; not on the book of Revelation or even the Bible. Yet, all of a sudden, a thought came into my mind: When Jesus Christ returns at the end of the seven year Tribulation -- even though many, many people will have been killed by the Antichrist -- there will be many people who have survived the horrible Tribulation. This group will consist of both believers and non-believers.

These people will stand in judgment before Jesus Christ -- the Sheep and Goat Judgment found in Matthew 25:31-46 for the Gentile nations, and the Judgment of Israel found in Ezekiel 20:32-38 for the Jews. Those who are not believers will "go away into eternal punishment" (Matthew 25:46). To those who are believers, He will say, "Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you. . ." (Matthew 25:34). That kingdom is His Millennial Kingdom -- and, later, the eternal kingdom.

And, to the Jews, He will say, "'And I will bring you into the wilderness of the peoples, and there I will enter into judgment with you face to face. As I entered into judgment with your fathers in the wilderness of the land of Egypt, so I will enter into judgment with you,' declares the Lord GOD. 'I will make you pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant'" (Ezekiel
20:35-37)

This will be the remnant of Israel, His chosen people, who, with the believers from the Sheep and Goat Judgment, will enter the Millennial Kingdom, God's Kingdom on earth, in their mortal bodies.

So, the inhabitants of the Millennial Kingdom, ruled by Jesus Christ from the throne of David in Jerusalem, will consist of the Raptured church and the Old Testament saints in our immortal bodies -- and the believers who survive the Tribulation, both Jew and Gentile, in their mortal bodies. Those in their mortal bodies will continue to marry and bear children.

During the Millennial Kingdom, Satan will be locked in the abyss, so his demonic temptations will not exist on earth for that one thousand years. Those who enter the Millennial Kingdom will be believers. Yet, they and those born during the Millennial Kingdom will still bear the sin curse of Adam, they will have the Adamic sin nature curse. Only death or the Rapture can remove this curse.

And, having this sin nature -- the only way to have eternal salvation is still through Jesus Christ. Keep in mind -- He is the ONLY Way to God the Father. So, the people born during the Millennial Kingdom will still have to confess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior to be saved.

Even though the Satanic influence has been removed for one thousand years; there will still be people born during this time who will, for whatever reason, not invite Jesus Christ to be their Lord and Savior. These people will not be causing death and destruction as we have on earth today -- for Jesus Christ will be the ruler of this world. Yet, some will choose not to follow Him and will not receive His imputed righteousness.

When Satan is released from the abyss after one thousand years; these people who have not made a commitment to Jesus Christ will be easy prey for him, as he lures them into his army. This is the army which will come against Jesus Christ and the holy city at the end of the Millennial Kingdom -- and they will all be supernaturally destroyed (Revelation 20:7-10).

Now, did the Holy Spirit reveal all this to me that day as I sat at the traffic light? No. He revealed to me about the people, the Tribulation survivors, who will enter the Millennial Kingdom in their mortal bodies. This so piqued my interest that I began my study of the End Times and Revelation in earnest.

And, over the years, layer after layer has been peeled back, as the Holy Spirit revealed to me more and more knowledge of the End Times. You might say that, although I had already been studying End Times prophecy -- that traffic light revelation birthed my desire to really understand End Time prophecy.

Another example of the Holy Spirit leading as we study Scripture: For years I had tried to read the book of Job -- and could not get past chapter one. One evening I was sitting on my patio studying the book of John. A cross reference sent me to Job 42:10, "The LORD restored the fortunes of Job when he prayed for his friends, and the LORD increased all that Job had twofold."

Once again, my interest was piqued -- and I began to read Job. For whatever reason, that night reading Job was as easy as reading an interesting novel -- it just flowed. That night I read and had a fairly good understanding of the book of Job -- and have since led a Bible study on it. Who or what led me to Job 42:10 that night? The Holy Spirit, of course.

John 14:26, "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."

Tigr, no part of the Bible is insignificant; but, most especially not God's revelations which He sends to us through His prophecies. Do not neglect 30% of His Written Word.

God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment