Monday, October 22, 2018

Let's Talk About Hell ~ A Second View!

LAST SUNDAY WE HAD AN EXCITING SUNDAY SCHOOL CLASS at IBBC-Riverside (International Bible Baptist Church of Riverside).

"Oh, really, Bill?  What was so exciting?  What did you discuss?"  Glad you asked.  First it was exciting because so many of us participated in the discussion.  We had folks all across the group commenting, asking questions, participating.

We were discussing hell.  Did I hear a pin drop?  Why am I hearing a loud silence?  Shouldn't a church discuss hell and how to avoid it?

Three very important questions were raised:

1.  Is hell real, is hell eternal, and where is hell?

2.  Since we are told that non-believers in Hades/Torment have their mortal senses - taste, feeling, hearing, sight - what kind of body do they have in Hades/Torment?


3.  What about heaven - will I recognize and know my loved ones in heaven?

1.  Is hell real, is hell eternal, and where is hell?


Since the existence of hell is important to all of us, we went through the typical Scripture verses and passages about Hell, Sheol, Hades/Torment, etc.

Matthew 8:12, 22:13, 25:30, "And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
Luke 13:28, "There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and yourselves thrust out."

This of course led to a discussion of churches which teach false doctrines of hell.  Some mainline denominations teach that hell is a myth, does not really exist - even though Jesus, in the Bible, tells us hell is a real place.

Matthew 10:28, "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.  But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Matthew 25:46, "And these will go away into everlasting punishment (hell), but the righteous into eternal life."

In my young twenties, even though I was not a Christian believer, I felt the pull of God in my heart - but did not want to give up my secular fun.  I had a dilemma.  If I started going to church, how could I still enjoy my secular night life and fun?  For a long time I felt the tug in both directions.  So I looked for a church which would tell me there is no hell.  Good solution, right?  No hell, no punishment, just have fun all week and go to church on Sunday.  As a non-believer that sure had an appeal for me.

Since I was in the Air Force, I talked to a chaplain from a major mainstream Christian denomination which in later years I learned holds to other unbiblical teachings.  When I asked the Air Force chaplain about hell, he told me not to worry for hell is only a myth, it is not real.  At that time his words made me happy - for I could follow God's urging to attend church - and still party the rest of the week.  Today you and I know that chaplain was pointing me straight toward an eternal hell.

Other churches teach variations of no hell.  Some teach "annihilation" meaning that when a non-believer dies, he does not go to hell, he just immediately goes up in smoke, supernaturally cremated, totally destroyed never to live or know anything again.  Annihilationism is the belief that unbelievers will not experience an eternity of suffering in hell, but will instead just cease to exist after death.  No more pain, no more suffering, just nothing eternally.  Not what the Bible teaches.

There are churches which teach "soul sleep" meaning that when we die -  our soul, believer and non-believer -  just “sleeps” - oblivious until the resurrection and final judgment.  The concept of “soul sleep” is not biblical.  Churches which teach soul sleep include the Seventh Day Adventist, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christadelphians, Herbert W. Armstrong's Worldwide Church of God and its offshoot churches, Bible Students Movement (predecessor of the Jehovah's Witnesses), Christadelphians, and the various Advent Christian churches, etc.

And there are churches which teach "conditional immortality" or "conditionalism."   This is an unbiblical teaching that not everyone will be raised immortal.  Only believers will be resurrected immortally and live forever.  Non-believers will be annihilated.  Conditional immortality is an adjunct teaching supporting the false teaching of annihilationism.  In their teaching, the unsaved will suffer a second, irreversible death, perishing forever - annihilationism - and cease to consciously exist.

Then there is the other side of the "no hell" coin.   Universalism. 

Unitarian Universalists teach Universalism, the belief that everyone will be saved - that ALL people will eventually end up in heaven.  The Unitarian Universalist church (we have one in downtown Riverside) is a secular ecumenical organization which believes that all world religions, including atheism, can worship together.  So, if you believe in God, if you do not believe in God - if you follow Buddha or any other world religion deity - or if you are a "this life is all there is" atheist - that is okay, you can all join together in worship.  My question:  "In worshiping what or who?"

And the Christian Universalists profess faith in God.  But the God they worship is a God of Perfect Love, with His attribute of Perfect Justice laid aside.  We cannot lay aside ANY of God's attributes.  God's love and God's justice are equal and balancing attributes of the perfect God.

In their Statement of Beliefs, the Christian Universalist Association states:  "We believe in the law of justice by which actions generate consequences, whether to be manifested in this life or the life to come - and that love, grace and forgiveness ultimately overcome the law of justice."

Pastor Rob Bell, the nationally known former pastor of Mars Hill Bible Church, a non-denominational Christian megachurch located in Grandville, Michigan, taught a form of Universalism.

Finally there are the "seeker friendly" or "feel good" churches that just refuse to teach about sin and hell - for they do not want to offend anyone.  I doubt anyone ever heard Joel Osteen mention hell.  That would spoil his book sales. 

About ten years ago I wandered into the web site of a church in the Midwest, but could not find their Statement of Faith, or Statement of Beliefs.  Any time I find a new ministry or church the first thing I look at is their doctrinal statement - for if that is what they believe, that is what they teach.  Since I could not find this information on their web site, I sent an e-mail asking about it.  Shortly I received an e-mail telling me, "We do not post our Statement of Faith, for we do not want to offend anyone."  

Think about that for a moment.  A Christian church who will not tell you what they believe - because they do not want to offend anyone.  I responded, "Well, you most certainly have offended me.  And I have no doubt that you have offended God." 

Why do the "seeker friendly" churches not teach about hell and sin?  Because they do not want to offend anyone.  They want their pews filled and many viewers on television.  Why?  That is very obvious - MONEY!  The more pews they fill - the more money given in their offerings.  The more viewers on television - the more money sent to them. 

I have a Christian brother who used to work at the U. S. Postal Distribution Center in Orange County, California.  He told us about postal trucks filled with bags of mail - all mail going to Trinity Broadcast Network (TBN) headquarters in Costa Mesa, California - almost every day.  And, guess what was in those letters which filled the many bags of mail - CHECKS, MONEY!

That is why they will not teach about hell.

Since God teaches about hell in His Bible, I am sure He is not happy with anyone who will not teach about hell, or who will teach a different doctrine about hell.  God does not tell us about hell to scare us, but because He loves us and sincerely wants to save all people (2 Peter 3:9) - even though He knows, omnisciently, that many will refuse His "paid in full" pardon from punishment and condemn themselves to eternal punishment.

So, what do we know from the Bible about what happens at death and thereafter?

We know that, at death the mortal body goes into the grave - but the spirit does not stay in the grave.  The spirit of the dead goes immediately to one of two locations.  The spirit of the believer goes to be with the Lord in heaven.

Philippians  1:21-23, "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell.  For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better."

2 Corinthians 5:8, "We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord."

And we know that at death in this mortal body, the spirit of the non-believer goes into Hades/Torment to await resurrection for the Great White Throne Judgment.

Luke 16:22-23, "So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.  And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom."

Next, we know that the believer is resurrected into our immortal bodies at the Rapture:

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18, "For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.  Therefore comfort one another with these words."

And, glorified:

1 John 3:2, "Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed (the Rapture), we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is."

When Jesus Christ ascended into heaven, He was in His glorified body.  And when He meets us in the air at the Rapture - we will be like Him - being in our glorified bodies.

What about the non-believers?  They are still in Hades/Torment waiting to be resurrected into their immortal bodies to stand before Christ at the Great White Throne Judgment at the end of the 1000 year Millennial Kingdom.

2.  Since we are told that non-believers in Hades/Torment (Luke 16:19-31) have their mortal senses - taste, feeling, speech, hearing, sight - what kind of body do they have in Hades/Torment?

We know that it is not a mortal body, for mortal bodies carry the Adamic Sin Nature curse of physical death and deterioration.  From an early age our bodies are in the process of dying, deteriorating - so that by the time we reach 70, 80, 90 - our bodies are quite different than our 20 year old bodies.

Many folks in Hades/Torment have been there for thousands of years.  Therefore they cannot be in their mortal bodies which would have deteriorated into nothingness long ago - and they will not be raised in their immortal bodies until after the 1000 year Millennial Kingdom.  Since the Bible does not really tell us we cannot be dogmatic.  But I would suggest that the non-believers in Hades/Torment are in some sort of spiritual body which has the same senses as their mortal body before they died.

Let's pause for a moment to address an often misinterpreted Scripture passage:  Revelation 20:4-5

This is how this Scripture passage reads in the NKJV Bible:

Revelation 20:4-5, "And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.  But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection."

And this is how I believe it was intended to be read:

Revelation 20:4-5, "And I saw thrones, and they sat on them (the church and OT saints), and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands (martyred Tribulation saints).  And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. This is the first resurrection. ~ But the rest of the dead (non-believers in Hades/Torment) did not live again until the thousand years were finished."

Why do I suggest this reading?  Because the First Resurrection began with Jesus Christ when He rose from the dead.  And it includes believers, i.e., saints from the beginning of time until the Rapture - and the Tribulation saints.  Believers share in the First Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The Second Resurrection begins when Satan is released from the abyss after the Millennial Kingdom.  He will be released from the abyss for one purpose - as a final "free will" decision given to all mortals born during the 1000 year Millennial Kingdom.  Will you receive eternal life in Jesus Christ - or will you continue to follow Satan? 

Out of apathy, many will still deny Christ and will become part of Satan's final army when he goes against Jesus Christ and the holy city, Jerusalem.  In that final battle of history, Satan's army will die from supernatural, i.e., God sent, fire and will join the other non-believers from all time past in Hades/Torment.  Satan will go into the lake of fire to join his Antichrist and False Prophet.

And then all of Satan' followers will be resurrected from Hades/Torment to stand judgment at the Great White Throne Judgment - and death and Hades will be thrown into the lake of fire, hell (Revelation 20:7-10, 20:11-15) for eternity.

3.  What about heaven - will I recognize and know my loved ones in heaven?

I suppose an adjunct question could be:  "If I die at the age of 90, will I always be 90 eternally?"  OR  "If a person dies as an infant, will that person always be an infant?"  These are questions commonly related to, "Will I recognize and know my loved ones in heaven?" 

We read of King David and his infant child which died, in 2 Samuel 12:22-23, "And he said, 'While the child was alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, "Who can tell whether the LORD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?" '  But now he is dead; why should I fast?  Can I bring him back again?  I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me."   God had obviously put on David's heart that he will see his child again.

In Luke 9:28-36, the Transfiguration of Christ, Moses and Elijah appeared with Him.  Peter, John, and James immediately recognized them and knew who they were, even though they had never seen them in this life.  How?  I believe that God, in all His glory and omnipotence, will give us a way to recognize the giants of faith who were long before us - and He will give us that same ability to recognize our loved ones and friends.

Another adjunct question which is often raised:  "Can my loved ones see me from heaven and know what I am doing?"  Would you really want them to see all you are doing in this mortal body?

OR

Folks will say, "My loved one appeared to me."  With no intention of hurting anyone, that cannot be true for they are in glorious, blessed heaven - in the presence of God.  Why would they ever want to return to this fallen world, even for a visit?

But before I was a Christian believer, at a time when I was playing Russian Roulette with my soul and was delving into the dark world of the psychic paranormal - there were several instances when I also thought my maternal grandfather had appeared to me.  Later I realized that it was not my grandfather, but demonic spirits trying to steal my soul.

Let me close with these thoughts I wrote in 2002:

Today, as I was ironing my shirts and levis, a male survival skill taught me as a youth by a wonderful mother, I was listening to a Good News Radio, a Christian radio station in Riverside, California.   The song they were playing, "I Bowed On My Knees And Cried Holy," sung by the Heritage Singers, really touched my heart.  The words spoke of meeting loved ones in heaven.

I thought of my mother who went home to be with the Lord in 1994.  A thought came to me, possibly the Holy Spirit, which made me cry.  Thought of those loved ones, especially my mom, who have gone on to glory and wondered if they know about me now.  I found solace and sadness in the fact that the Bible teaches us that there will be no more tears in heaven.  So my mother's pains, her unhappiness, her heartaches were left behind when she went home to be with the Lord.


As I pictured her in heaven, with Jesus, she is always smiling.  She is always happy.  Then I remembered the question that many have asked, "Will my loved ones, my mother, my father, my brother or sister, my wife or husband, my child - will they know what is happening to me here on earth, what I am doing, how I am living?  Will they know the many times I have failed to act and walk as a Christian should?  Would my mother be happy with who I am today?"  And I saw, what to me was the answer.


I see Jesus, every time I do something right, going to my mother and telling her what I have done that really pleased Him.  Oh, I know how happy that makes her.  But what about those times when I do things which I know will not please Jesus?  What does He tell my mother then?  The answer: He tells her nothing.  Because He wants her to be happy, so He tells her only the good things about me, the things I do which will make her happy.


That is when I cried.  Because I know that the things which He cannot tell my mother far outweigh the things He can tell her.   And I know then that, once again, I have made Him very sad - and once again He alone has carried my sins upon His wonderful, cross scarred shoulders.  Once again, He alone has borne my stripes.  That is why I cried.

You can see the fun, and great learning experience, we had in our Sunday School Class at International Bible Baptist Church of Riverside last week.  To all my Friends in the Southern California area, I invite YOU to come and experience our Sunday School Class yourself - and stay for our Worship Service.  I know you will be blessed.

International Bible Baptist Church - Riverside

5932 Challen Avenue, Riverside, California 92503.

* Morning Service is at 10:30 AM Main Worship Service is:

* Sunday School - 1:30 PM  ~  Join us in the sanctuary, for I know you will enjoy our study of God's Word.


* Worship Service - 2:30 PM  ~  Come worship the Lord with us.


If you are in the area on any Sunday, come join us for fellowship and worship.  The invitation is open and perpetually standing.


God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill 

Click on the image to enlarge:

No comments:

Post a Comment